Computer Energy Calculator
What are your computers costing in energy and money?
Compare your computers with current efficient desktop, laptop and chromebook computers.
Over $100 per computer can be saved per year with simple computer practices.
Computer Energy Calculator Instructions
Fill in the values for your computer situation in the first table.
Press the Get Results button
See the comparison in the second table.
The default computer values used is for a Performance quad PC with LCD monitor.
Suggestions to lower your computer power consumption can include:
- Turning on Computer Power Management.
- Use laptops or chromebooks instead of desktop computers.
- Using LCD rather than CRT monitors.
- Adjust the brightness of the monitor down.
- Enabling S3 sleep mode in BIOS.
Some sample power consumption values are provided here.
Power meters can be bought for approximately $30 and show real time power use and consumption over time.
How much can you lower a computers power consumption and therefore save energy and money?
Can thin client systems or chromebooks be used instead of existing computer equipment?
Is it time to replace the current equipment for newer more efficient designs with lower wattage processors and 80 Plus efficient power supplies?
Computer Energy Calculator Goals
Once you have results, what can you change? Implement computer power management on all computers possible.
Review your yearly computer energy running costs. Is it time to change the hardware mix? Consider all efficiency changes and see which are most appropriate.
Computer Power Management CPM defined
CPM is a way to save energy consumption of a computer using only configuration changes. Suggestions for energy saving settings are:
- Turn off screens after 15 minutes of inactivity. This is configured in the operating system to operate automatically.
- Turn off hard drives after 15 minutes of inactivity This is configured in the operating system to operate automatically.
- Make computer go to sleep or hibernation after 30 minutes of inactivity. This is configured in the operating system to operate automatically.
- Enable in the computer BIOS: ACPI, S3 Sleep Mode, Intel Speedstep / AMD Cool n Quiet
An extra 38% in electrical consumption and running costs can be saved with the above settings.
Energy Control of Computer Peripherals
The simplest method of peripheral control is powering off all peripherals at the wall when the computer is not in use.
Another method is using a USB controlled power board. When the computer turns on the USB voltage enables the special power board to turn on all connected devices.
What is your printer, scanner, speakers, USB hub, external hard drives costing per year to run? Appliance Energy Calculator
Home | Computer Efficiency Section
Desktop Computer System Selection Guide | Laptop Computer System Selection Guide | Netbook Computer System Selection Guide
Energy Calculators | Efficiency Ebook | PC Energy Yearly Costs Calculator