Appliance Energy Calculator
What is the yearly cost of running your appliances including standby power?
What energy savings are you missing out on?
This calculator can work out yearly costs of running an electrical appliance based on hours of operation and its consumption rate when on and in standby.
Some electrical consumption values are provided.
Otherwise, power meters can be bought for approximately $30 and show real time power use and consumption over time.
Once you have worked out your yearly costs then consider efficiency and money saving strategies.
- Can you turn off an appliance completely eliminating standby consumption?
- Can a daily, weekly or countdown timer be used to reduce consumption?
- If the device is hard to turn on and off then consider a remote controlled power-board.
- Does my appliances have good Energy Star ratings?
- Are there more efficient alternatives?
Recalculate for energy saving measures deployed.
- Is it worth the extra effort and expense for lower running costs for the life of an appliance?
- Other benefits include reduced cooling needs due to lower appliance electrical consumption.
Fill in the values for your appliance operation in the first table.
Press the Get Results button to see the yearly electricity use and costs in the second table.
Appliance Results can be imported to the last table for side by side comparisons.
If you have a appliance that is used on weekdays and weekend differently then use See Appliance Energy Usage with a digital electricity meter