much computer power is saved using nettops? What are the
considerations of using a nettops computer? What operations are not
suitable for nettop computers? What are other efficient computer
Netbook Computer Advantages
- Low power consumption.
- Light weight.
- Less heat generation. This also lowers building cooling requirements and costs.
- Less fan noise.
- They can be placed on the back of the LCD screen freeing up valuable desk space.
- Lower purchase cost compared to desktop computers.
- The can work as a virtual computer client to extend performance
Netbook Computer Power Usage Comparison
Thin Client, Nettop, Desktop and Raspberry Pi3 Computer Comparison
||Rasberry Pi 3
||Intel Core 2 Duo
||ARMv8 quad core
||2 MB flash
||8 GB+ micro SD card
||153 x 100 x 23
||222 × 178 × 27
||447 x 177 x 452
||85 x 57 x 17
|Year power consumption at
50% load, 40 hours / week
|Year electricity cost at $0.20/kWh
supply rating is a maximum. Expect actual average consumption to be
less than 50% of power supply rating.
Thin clients require connection to a server providing a virtual
machine. Server can provide for approximately 40 thin clients per CPU.
A two quad core CPU server can provide for 320 thin clients. A 16 blade
server with dual quad core CPU blades can provide for 5120 thin clients.
Nettop Computer Considerations
nettops for data collection, media serving, web browsing, email,
office applications, software as a service connection, virtual cloud
computing connection, point of sales systems, computer labs etc.
How many applications are expected to run simultaneously. Keep in mind the memory constraints and single processor.
- Will the computer connect to a large company network. This will influence what operating systems to choose. E.g. Linux or Windows 7.
Other Efficient Computer Power Options
Netbook computers used instead of notebooks. These use low power processors like Atom in a smaller portable size.
Nettop Computer Saving Article
- Turn on computer power management on existing computers.
- Advanced Thin Clients and Nettops can be used for VOIP telephony functions.
- Using virtual computer connections can extend the application and processing possibilities for nettop computers.
- Software as a
service applications provided by remote cloud computing can allow for
specialized applications using an Internet connection and little local
Raspberry Pi 3 Computer Information
- Raspberry Pi 3 is supplied as a circuit board. You need to buy a plastic case. There are Vesa cases for the back of a monitor.
- The power supply is Micro USB. 2 to 3 Amps. A tablet power supply is sufficient.
- Storage is via a Micro SD card. E.g. 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 GB. More storage can be added via USB ports.
- There are 4 USB ports for keyboard and mouse etc.
- Networking can be via Ethernet or WiFi. This can also provide access to cloud storage.
- Display is via a HDMI connector. Modern televisions use this connector.
- The operating system is either Linux or Windows 10 Core. There are Linux versions for media centre, Internet of Things etc.