How much computer power is saved using netbooks? What are the
considerations of using a netbook computer? What operations are not
suitable for netbook computers? What are other efficient computer
Netbook Computer Advantages
- Low power consumption
- Light weight
- More portable computing power
- Less fan noise
- Some models can perform a full business day on batteries alone
- Lower purchase cost compared to desktop or laptop computers
- Netbook can also be used to connect to cloud computing to extend capabilities
- Netbook can work as a virtual computer client accessing much more processing power
Netbook Computer Power Usage Comparison
Netbook and Notebook Computer Comparison
||1024 x 600
||1024 x 600
||1280 x 800
||1366 x 768
||1366 x 768
||Core 2 Duo
||16 GB + cloud
||225 x 170 x 32
||266 x 191 x 38
||300 x 230 x 28
||289 x 204 x 18
||375 x 244 x 26
|Year power consumption at
50% load, 40 hours / week
|Year electricity cost at $0.20/kWh
supply rating is a maximum. Expect actual average consumption to be
less than 50% of power supply rating. Power rating partly relates to
the size of the
batteries in use.
Netbook Computer Considerations
- Use an external monitor for higher screen resolution like 1024 x 768 and larger screens.
- How many applications are expected to run simultaneously.
Keep in mind the memory constraints and single processor.
- Does your applications work with the computer screen resolution.
- What is the maximum time away from mains power that the netbook must function.
- Will the computer connect to a large company network.
This will influence what operating systems to choose. E.g. Linux or Windows 7/8/10.
Use netbooks for data collection, media serving, web browsing, email, office applications, software as a service connection, virtual cloud computing connection, Online storage connection etc.
- Solid state drive options are faster, use less energy and tougher in a fall.
- LED back lit screens use less energy than LCD.
Other Efficient Computer Power Options
Nettop computers used instead of desktops.
These use similar low power processors like Atom in a small desktop enclosure.
Nettop Computer Power Saving Article
- Use thin clients connected to a server. These have a power consumption of less than 15 watts on average and have no moving parts.
- Turn on computer power management on existing computers.
- Using a netbook connected to mains power is slightly more efficient than from batteries. Battery charging involves some energy losses.
- Chromebooks can operate for 8 to 12 hours on batteries. Chromebooks can act as thin clients. They can use Google Docs and Office 365.