Netbook Computer Power Savings
How much computer power is saved using netbooks? What are the
considerations of using a netbook computer? What operations are not
suitable for netbook computers? What are other efficient computer
Netbook Computer Advantages
- Low power consumption
- Light weight
- More portable computing power
- Less fan noise
- Some models can perform a full business day on batteries alone
- Lower purchase cost compared to desktop or laptop computers
- Netbook can also be used to connect to cloud computing to extend capabilities
- Netbook can work as a virtual computer client accessing much more processing power
Netbook Computer Power Usage Comparison
Netbook and Notebook Computer Comparison
|15 inch notebook
||800 x 480
||1024 x 600
||1024 x 600
||1280 x 800
||1366 x 768
||225 x 160 x 32
||225 x 170 x 32
||266 x 191 x 38
||300 x 230 x 28
||375 x 244 x 26
|Year power consumption at
50% load, 40 hours / week
electricity cost at $0.20/kWh
supply rating is a maximum. Expect actual average consumption to be
less than 50% of power supply rating. Power rating partly relates to
the size of the
batteries in use.
Netbook Computer Considerations
- Use an external monitor for higher screen resolution like 1024 x 768 and larger screens.
- How many applications are expected to run simultaneously.
Keep in mind the memory constraints and single processor.
- Does your applications work with the computer screen resolution.
- What is the maximum time away from mains power that the netbook must function.
- Will the computer connect to a large company network.
This will influence what operating systems to choose. E.g. Linux or Windows 7.
Use netbooks for data collection, media serving, web browsing, email, office applications, software as a service connection, virtual cloud computing connection, Online storage connection etc.
- Solid state drive options are faster, use less energy and tougher in a fall.
- LED back lit screens use less energy than cold cathode lighting.
Other Efficient Computer Power Options
Nettop computers used instead of desktops.
These use similar low power processors like Atom in a small desktop enclosure.
Nettop Computer Power Saving Article
- Use thin clients connected to a server. These have a power consumption of less than 15 watts on average and have no moving parts.
- Turn on computer power management on existing computers.
- Using a netbook connected to mains power is slightly more efficient than from batteries. Battery charging involves some energy losses.