Group parallel thinking input using 1 of 6 hats at a time. See section 2 for 8 suggested Hat sequences.
Record results on either the Textarea below or the linked PDF.
6 Thinking Hats
Blue Thinking Hat
- Big picture, High level, process, priorities, consider all factors, management of 6 Hats.
- 6 Hat sequencing agenda.
- Ask for summary, findings, conclusion, decision. Use Textarea below or PDF page 3.
White Thinking Hat
- Information known, unknown.
- Information needs.
- Facts, facts needed.
- Where to get the information.
Red Thinking Hat
- Emotional responses, feelings, intuition, hunches.
- No justification needed.
- Feeling about a topic in the open.
Yellow Thinking Hat
- Positive values and benefits, optimism.
- Proposal preference outline.
- Benefits of a design.
- How to make a creative design idea work.
Green Thinking Hat
- New ideas, emerging technologies.
- Potential alternatives.
- Lateral thinking.
- Creative thinking and effort.
- Forward possibilities.
- Any other ideas here?
- Do things in a different way?
- Other explanations.
Black Thinking Hat
- Risks, roadblocks, potential failure points.
- Cautious approach.
- Potential mistakes.
- Costs, Regulations, not practical, high maintenance, safety.
- Allow new ideas to use other hats first.
6 Hat Application Sample Sequences
|Initial Ideas||Blue, White, Green, Blue|
|Choosing between alternatives||Blue, White, (Green), Yellow, Black, Red, Blue|
|Identifying Solutions||Blue, White, Black, Green, Blue|
|Quick Feedback||Blue, Black, Green, Blue|
|Strategic Planning||Blue, Yellow, Black, White, Blue, Green, Blue|
|Process Improvement||Blue, White, White (Other People's Views), Yellow, Black, Green, Red, Blue|
|Solving Problems||Blue, White, Green, Red, Yellow, Black, Green, Blue|
|Performance Review||Blue, Red, White, Yellow, Black, Green, Blue|
Your 6 Hat Decision Results Textarea
Write your notes in the Textarea above. Select All Ctrl A, Copy Ctrl C and Paste Ctrl V. Export to your document as text.
This PDF form can be printed or filled in online and saved.