Evacuated Tube Solar Hot Water Systems for Home use Calculator
- What are the advantages of evacuated tube solar hot water?
- Is it suitable for your location and hot water consumption?
Calculate your hot water consumption and expected solar hot water creation over its lifetime in your location.
Results in under 5 minutes.
Evacuated Tube Solar Hot Water Advantages
- Less weight on roof. Can be less than 40 kilograms.
- Smaller in area on roof compared to alternatives.
- More efficient with different angles of the sun.
- Hot water tank is on the ground. Less issues with storms.
- Evacuated Tube quantity and tank size can be varied to suit location.
- Easier to place on the roof than a single large heavy solar collector.
Evacuated Tube Solar Hot Water Disadvantages
- Small circulation pump needed to move water between tank and solar collector when heating. E.g. 30 watts.
- Solar hot water can provide 60-80% of your hot water needs
- Solar system needs an electronic controller consuming about 5 watts.
Solar Hot Water Plan
- Confirm you are operating with hot water efficient tap-ware.
- Calculate your hot water consumption
- Enter your current power cost per kWh
- Use link to work out the solar radiation available in your location of the world
- Click Get Results button and review the findings
- Look at the return of investment values. At what installed cost is solar hot water viable?
Hot Water Efficient Tap-ware
Replace a shower head for a water efficient one and Save 55% in water and associated heating costs.
Install tap aerators and Save 75% in water and associated heating costs.
Hot Water Use Consumption Calculation
Fill in the first 2 columns. Use 0 if not applicable.
Solar Hot Water Considerations
- A larger water tank can take compensate for a cloudy day causing lower solar water heating.
- Size the solar collector for your hot water consumption and average daily solar radiation.
- The best aspect for solar panels is facing the equator (Northern hemisphere face south, Southern hemisphere face north).
- The ideal pitch angle equals to your location latitude.
- Special considerations are needed in frost or snow areas.
- Instantaneous gas heating can be used after the hot water tank to make up any shortfall in water temperature.
- Become familar with any government rebates available. E.g. $1600 is available in Australia.
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) can be sold after installation of solar hot water in some countries (~$1000-$2000).
- Australian $1600 Solar Hot Water Rebate
- List of solar hot water systems with REC rebates
- Solar zones in Australia that alter REC rebates
- Up to $10000 green loans with 4 years internet free This is available in Australia to help pay for e.g. solar hot water
|Where is your hot water energy consumption going?||Does this type of Solar Hot Water System suit you?|
Calculate all possible energy efficient activities and see which ones are easiest to implement and get the best return on investment.