Page 2 of 3
Cloud Computing Components
- Skype - Telephony and video conferencing using the Internet.
- Facebook - Social interaction site.
- Google Docs - word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, file sharing. Free.
- Zoho suite - Email, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, Wiki, file sharing, databases, invoicing, projects. Free for personal use.
- iPhone - Apple smart phone with extra applications and backup available from Apple.
- Android - Goggle smart phone operating system
- gOS - Goggle Linux distribution with connections to Google cloud services.
- Firefox / Google Chrome Internet Browsers
Virtual servers can be accessed starting from less than $100 per month.
- applicationsnet.com - VOIP hosting, web hosting, cloud application hosting and virtual machine hosting.
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud EC2 - Consists of Amazon Simple Storage Service, Amazon Simple DB and Amazon Simple Queue Service. Amazon machine images can be used by the hour from $0.10 US/hour plus $0.10 US per GB data transfers. Operating systems include Windows Server and various Linux distributions. Database option include Oracle, IBM DB2, My SQL and Microsoft SQL 2005. Web Servers can be Microsoft IIS, Apache or IBM Web Sphere. Programming languages include Java, Ruby on Rails, JBoss, IBM sMash and Oracle WebLogic. Amazon Dev Pay allows a payment interface using Amazon accounts with your software services.
- Go Grid - Virtual Machines such as Microsoft 2003/2008 Server, database Server and Redhat Linux. Pick IP address, operating system, options, memory required. Pay for Storage, Outbound Bandwidth and memory GB/hours. Almost instant deployment,
- Force.com - Platform hosting Salesforce customer relationship management cloud software, medical software, real estate software, contract management software, franchise management software, inventory management software, mortgage application and over 80000 custom applications.
- Microsoft.NET - A programming framework for Microsoft Windows computers. The group of programming classes can be used by multiple programming languages.
- Ruby on Rails - Web application platform with a database back end. Open Source programming using Ruby which can work on Linux, Windows and Mac. Programs can run from Apache or Microsoft IIS web servers. Twitter is written in Ruby on Rails.
- Google App Engine - Uses programming languages Python and Java. Access to your on line database, applications, files. A 150 Mb file storage limit and 10 GB bandwidth / day limits apply for the free service. Run your applications on Google hardware.
- Google Gears - Browser plug in to allow database access and synchronization of information. Google Docs and Zoho is written using this platform.
- Paypal - Instant World wide payment options in many currencies using Paypal's user accounts or popular credit cards.
- Goggle Maps
- Amazon Simple Queue Service - Provides distributed messaging across the Internet.
- Google Custom Search - Provides custom Google searches on other websites.
- Backup Direct - PC and Server backup. Data is stored to 2 countries for redundancy.
- Amazon Simple DB - Up to 10 GB database on line storage.
- Mobile Me - Apple website, email and file storage on line up to 20 GB. Can synchronize calendars across multiple Apple devices.
- Live Mesh - File and Folder synchronizing across multiple computers using cloud storage and management. 5 GB storage available for free.